Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Comet 41P (TGK) Remastered

Images of a comet 41P in my previous post were processed with DeepSkyStacker. It is a very good program to get a quick-and-dirty result of an astrosession. Hovewer, I always got a better output with another free astrosoftware: IRIS. I've never tried to process comet's images yet with IRIS so it is my first attempt to use the special comet-tracking functionality of it.

I reprocessed the same set of frames as in my previous post: 50 frames x 30s, taken at ISO 800 using Canon EOS 600D attached to SkyWatcher 15075 Newtonian on top of motorized EQ5 mount (no guiding). I used 19 dark and 19 offset frames for calibration.

The frames were captured between 23:23 and 23:54 local Kyiv time (UT+3) on 2 Apr 2017.

I should say that IRIS gave a less noisy picture; comet's coma is seen better. In general, the image looks "softer" and "more natural".

A size of the cropped image is 45x45 arcminutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment